DISCLAIMER: This post is written as a live blog from Mozcon. There may be typos and grammar to make my high school English teachers weep. Please excuse those … it’s a fast-paced conference with back-to-back sessions and no time for proofing or even proper writing.
Katie Cunningham is taking the stage now to discuss SEO-intent frameworks for any business. She talks about the importance of fully understanding that “get more traffic” is not the goal but needs refinement. With that refinement, you may be up against sites stronger than you and so understanding the steps in the decision process can help you understand where to jump into the equation and you need to understand their intent at that stage.
In work for a Lasik site she worked with they couldn’t compete with the Mayo clinic so they needed to jump in. But how:
- Document ALL goals
- Audit your current state (what content and resources do you already have)
- Perform keyword research and identify intent-based modifiers
- Map modifiers to the intent stages
- Prioritize keywords and map to URLs & KPIs
- Gather universal results data and data specific to your market
- Map an action plan and prioritize by impact and what you can do
With this, the final step is to either deliver the strategy and get the job done and make sure you have the reporting automated and in place for the identified KPIs.
You can download her slide deck here.